死亡喪鐘（英語：Death Knell）是教堂裏在有人去世後敲響的三次鐘中的第二次。以英國來説，它前面一個為Passing Bell（臨終之鐘），在臨死時敲響；後面一個為Lych Bell或Corpse Bell（葬禮之鐘），在舉行葬禮時敲響，後者也就是今日喪禮中的喪鐘。按19世紀時的傳統，死亡喪鐘要在牧師得知信徒逝世後馬上敲響。但是若此時已經入夜，那麽則在第二天一早敲整整一小時的死亡喪鐘。 
- Walters P156. He also notes " ..there was sometimes the inconvenience that though the Passing Bell had been duly rung, the dying person might recover"
- Timbs, John. Mysteries of Life, Death, and Futurity: illustrated from the best and latest authorities. New York. 1863.
- Brand, John; Ellis, Sir Henry; Halliwell-Phillipps, James Orchard. Observations on the Popular Antiquities of Great Britain: chiefly illustrating the origin of our vulgar and provincial customs, ceremonies, and superstitions. Bohn. 1849-01-01 （英语）.
- Walters P 160
- E.g. Thomas Hood's poem "Faithless Sally Brown"; "His death which happened in his berth, At forty-odd befell: They went and told the sexton, and The sexton tolled the bell"
- Walters P157
- H B Walters, The Church bells of England. published 1912 and republished 1977 by Oxford University Press.